Areas of Expertise
- Decision making by individuals, groups and organizations
- Emotion in decision making
- Ethical decision making
Publications and Working Papers, 2005-Present
The psychology of decision making: People in Organizations (2nd Ed). (with L.R.Beach). London: Sage, 2005.
Decision modeling in uncertain and complex environments T. Kugler, J.C.Smith, T. Connolly & Y.J.Son (Eds.). New York: Springer, 2008.
B: Book chapters:
“On optimal satisficing; How simple policies can achieve excellent results” (with J. N. Bearden). Pp. 79-86 in T. Kugler, J.C.Smith, T. Connolly & Y.J.Son (Eds.), Decision modeling in uncertain and complex environments. New York: Springer, 2008.
“Fools rush in: A JDM perspective on the role of emotions in decisions, moral and otherwise.” (with D. Hardman). In B. H. Ross (Series Ed.) & D. M. Bartels, C. W. Bauman, L. J. Skitka, & D. L. Medin (Eds.), Psychology of Learning and Motivation, Vol. 50: Moral Judgment and Decision Making. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2009
“Judgment and Decision Making” (with L. Ordóñez & S. Barker) (2011). In Borman, W.C., Ilgen, D.R. & Klimoski, R.J. (Eds): Comprehensive Handbook of Psychology, Volume 12: Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 2nd Ed. New York: John Wiley. (Revision of Connolly & Ordóñez, 2002).
C: Journal articles:
“Regret in cancer-related decisions” (with J. Reb). Health Psychology, 2005, 24,529-534.
“Regret in economic and psychological theories of choice” (with D. Butler). Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 2006, 19, 139-154.
"Possession, feelings of ownership and the endowment effect” (with J. Reb). Judgment and Decision Making, 2007, 2, 29-36.
“Multi-attribute sequential search” (with J. N. Bearden). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 2007, 103, 147-158
“Investigating unethical decisions at work: Justification and emotion in dilemma resolution” (with R. Coughlan). Journal of Managerial Issues, 2008, 20, 348-365.
“The effect of consequential thinking on trust game behavior” (with T. Kugler & E.E.Kausel).Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 2009, 22, 101-119.
“Myopic regret avoidance in repeated decision making” (with J. Reb). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 2009, 109, 182-189.
"The effect of job offer timing acceptance, performance, and turnover" (with W.J. Becker, & J.E. Slaughter). Personnel Psychology, 2009, 63, 223-241
“The effects of action, normalcy, and decision carefulness on anticipated regret: Evidence for a broad mediating role of decision justifiability” (with J. Reb). Cognition and Emotion, 2010, 24, 1405-1420.
“Emotion, decision and risk: Betting on gambles vs. betting on people” (with T. Kugler & L. Ordonez). Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 2012, 25, 123-134.
“Regret aversion in reason-based choice” (with J. Reb). Theory and Decision, 2012, 73, 35-51.
“Towards interactive, internet-based aid for vaccination decisions: Better information is not enough” (with J. Reb). Vaccine, 2012, 30, 3813-3818
“Regret aversion, accountability and justification in the decoy effect” (with J. Reb & E.E. Kausel). Judgment and Decision Making, 2013, in press.
D: Working papers:
“Emotional chess: How beliefs about others’ affect can shape expectations and behavior in interactive decisions” (with E.E. Kausel). Working paper, September 2011
- American Psychological Society (Fellow)
- Academy of Management
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making (Board Member and Secretary-Treasurer 1990-1993; President, 1994-1995)
- European Association for Decision Making
Editorial & Advisory Boards
- Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 1994 – present; Associate Editor, 2001 – 2004
- Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 1990 - present
- National Science Foundation, Advisory Panel, Program in Decision, Risk and Management Science, 1990-1992; Behavioral Science Infrastructure Special Panel, 1999
- National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council, Committee on Human Factors, 1994 - 1999
- Behavioral & Brain Sciences, Associate, 1995 – present
- Arizona State University Decision Center for a Desert City, External Advisory Committee
- Judgment and Decision Making, Associate Editor
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making, Executive Board Member and Chair, Publication Committee
- Conference of Behavioral Decision Research in Management, Program Committee, San Diego (April 2008)