Professor of Management and Organizations
Associate Dean, Executive Education
Arnold Lesk Distinguished Chair
Executive Director, Center for Leadership Ethics
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 1992
- M.A., Michigan State University, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 1990
- B.Sc., First Class Honors, University of Alberta, Psychology, 1987
- MGMT 440, Leadership in a Complex World
- MGMT 696J, Current Topics in Organizational Behavior
- Business Ethics
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Healthcare Entrepreneurship
- Managerial fairness and organizational justice
- Human resource staffing and decision making
- Customer service behaviors and management
Publications and Working Papers
Gilliland, S. W., Gross, M. A., & Hogler, R. L. (2014). Is organizational justice the new industrial relations? A debate on individual versus collective underpinnings of justice. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 7, 155-172.
Gilliland S. W. & Anderson, J. (2013). On the psychology of greed. In J. K. Ford, J. R. Hollenbeck, & A. M. Ryan (Eds.), The nature of work: Advances in psychological theory, methods, and practices. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Gilliland, S. W. & Steiner, D. D. (2012). Applicant reactions to testing and selection. In N. Schmitt (Ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Assessment and Selection (pp. 629-666). Oxford University Press.
Li, A., Evans, J. M., Christian, M. S., Gilliland, S. W., Kausel, E. E., & Stein, J. H. (2011). The effects of managerial regulatory fit priming on reactions to explanations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 115, 268-282.
Gilliland, S. W. & Anderson, J. S. (2011). Perceptions of greed: A distributive injustice model. In S. W. Gilliland, D. D. Steiner, & D. P. Skarlicki (Eds.) Emerging Perspectives on Organizational Justice and Ethics. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Gilliland, S. W., Steiner, D. D., & Skarlicki, D. P. (2011). Emerging Perspectives on Organizational Justice and Ethics: Volume 7 in Research in Social Issues in Management. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Gilliland, S. W. (2009). More application than acknowledged. Refereed commentary in Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 2, 199-200.
Gilliland, S. W. (2008). The tails of justice: A critical examination of the dimensionality of organizational justice constructs. Human Resource Management Review, 18, 271-281.
Gilliland, S.W., Steiner, D.D., & Skarlicki, D.P. (2008). Justice, Morality, and Social Responsibility: Volume 6 in Research in Social Issues in Management. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
Gilliland, S. W. (2008). Peeling the justice onion: Ten interesting questions. In S.W. Gilliland, D.D. Steiner, & D.P Skarlicki, (Eds.), Justice, Morality, and Social Responsibility. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Fellow
- JAP, Editorial Board
- AMR, AMJ, OBHDP, PPsysch, International Journal of Selection and Assessment, Ad-hoc Reviewer
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the outstanding module of the Executive MBA program (2010).
- Recipient of the Academy of Management Perspectives Best Publication Award (2008)
- Recipient of the Jim and Rosemary Haleem Distinguished Teaching Award from the Department of Management and Organizations (2007).
- Recipient of CM Division Best Paper Award - Conflict in Context for 2007 Academy of Management Conference.
- Awarded Fellowship in the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology 2006
- Faculty Initiate to Beta Gamma Sigma, 2001
- Recipient of the Ernest J. McCormick Award for Distinguished Early Career Contributions from the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1997
- University of Arizona Department of Management and Organizations Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher Award, 1996 & 1998