Jerel E. Slaughter
Associate Professor and
Assistant Department Head
Brian Lesk Faculty Fellow
- Ph.D., Bowling Green State University, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, 2000
Fall 2012: MGMT 486
Managerial Judgment and Decision Making
Spring 2013: BNAD 512
Managing Human Capital in Changing Organizations
Spring 2013: MGMT 696H
Human Resource Management
- Employee Personality
- Recruitment and Applicant Attraction
- Pre-Employment Selection Tests
- Decision Making in Recruitment and Selection
Slaughter, J. E., & Kausel, E. E. (2013). Employee selection decisions. In S. Highhouse, R. Dalal, & E. Salas (Eds.), Judgment and decision making at work. New York: Routledge.
Slaughter J. E. (2012). Program developers should focus on internalization, not participation. American Journal of Health Promotion, 36, TAHP4-TAHP6.
Slaughter, J. E., Kausel, E. E., & Quiñones, M. A. (2011). The decoy effect as a covert influence tactic. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 24, 249-266.
Christian, M. S., Garza, A. S, & Slaughter, J. E. (2011). Work engagement: A quantitative review and test of its relations with task and contextual performance. Personnel Psychology, 64, 89-136.
Kausel, E. E., & Slaughter, J. E. (2011). Narrow personality traits and organizational attraction: Evidence for the complementary hypothesis. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 114, 3-14.
Becker, W. J., Connolly, T., & Slaughter, J. E. (2010). The effect of job offer timing on job acceptance, performance, and turnover. Personnel Psychology, 63, 223-241.
Bonaccio, S., Dalal, R. S., Highhouse, S., Ilgen, D. R., Mohammed, S., & Slaughter, J. E. (2010, author response). Taking workplace decisions seriously: This conversation has been fruitful! Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 3, 455-464.
Dalal, R. S., Bonaccio, S., Highhouse, S., Ilgen, D. R., Mohammed, S., & Slaughter, J. E. (2010, focal article). What if industrial-organizational psychology decided to take workplace decisions seriously? Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 3, 386-405.
Slaughter, J. E., & Kausel, E. E. (2009). The neurotic employee: Theoretical analysis of the influence of narrow facets of neuroticism on cognitive, social, and behavioral processes relevant to job performance. In J. Martocchio & H. Liao (Eds.), Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management (vol. 28, pp. 265-341). Bingley, UK: Emerald Insight.
Slaughter, J. E., & Greguras, G. J. (2009). Initial attraction to organizations: The influence of trait inferences. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 17, 1-18.
Current Projects and Working Papers
Slaughter, J. E., Christian, M. S., Podsakoff, N. P., Sinar, E. F, & Lievens, F. On the limitations of using situational judgment tests to measure interpersonal skills: The moderating influence of employee anger. Under third review at Personnel Psychology.
Slaughter, J. E., Cable, D. M., & Turban, D. B. Job seekers’ belief confidence during the recruitment process. Revision invited at Journal of Applied Psychology.
Slaughter, J. E., Christian, M. S., & Kausel, E. E. Unpacking the feedback-performance relationship: How and why neurotic employees fail to benefit from negative feedback. In preparation to send to Journal of Applied Psychology.
Kausel, E., Culbertson, S., Leiva, P., & Slaughter, J. E. Seeking advice from the mirror: Narcissism, accountability, and advice taking. In preparation to send to Journal of Applied Psychology.
Various studies associated with integrity tests used for employee selection (with S. Gilliland, & D. Cooper).
Joint influence of the work environment and personality in predicting deviant behaviors (with J. Anderson).Positive influence of controlled motivation in the workplace (with D. Cooper).
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Association for Psychological Science
- Journal of Applied Psychology - Editorial Board (2008 - Present)
- Personnel Psychology - Editorial Board (2011 - Present)
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology - Editorial Board (2009 - Present)
- Negotiation and Conflict Management Research - Editorial Board (2006 - Present)
- Journal of Management - Editorial Board (2006 - 2009)
- Journal of Business and Psychology - Associate Editor (2009 - 2012)
Awards and Honors
- Brian Lesk Faculty Fellowship, 2006-present
- Outstanding Reviewer Recognition, AOM OB Division, 2006
- Recognition of Top-Rated Poster Submissions, SIOP, 2006
- Student Alumni Association Teacher Appreciation Award, 2004